MERRY CHRISTMAS KENTUCKY!
CONDITIONAL COMMUTATION OF SENTENCES
TO ALL PEACE OFFICERS OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
WHEREAS, I Paul E. Patton, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, on December 11, 2002, through Executive Order 2002-1362, directed the Secretary of the Justice Cabinet to present a written application and proposal to me for the early release and commutation of sentences of inmates convicted on non-violent felony offenses by the close of business Friday December 13, 2002; and
WHEREAS, I Paul E. Patton have received and approved the proposal and application which utilizes the Department of Corrections' classification system to exclude certain offenders from consideration and thereby permits the release of these offenders who are nearing the completion of their sentence;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Paul E. Patton, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Kentucky Constitution and in particular Section 77, and as further granted to me by the laws of the Commonwealth, do hereby FIND, DECLARE, ORDER and DIRECT the following:
1. That the sentences of the offenders identified on the list attached to this Order, which is hereby incorporated by reference, are commuted conditionally pursuant to the provisions of this Order, and in particular paragraphs 2 and 3 herein.
2. That if any offender released through this Order is convicted and sentenced for a new felony offense, the number of days the offender was released in advance of his minimum expiration of sentence shall be added to the time he shall serve for the new felony conviction and sentence.
3. The Department of Corrections shall calculate these additional days, as provided in paragraph 2 above, at the time it receives official notification of the offenders new felony conviction and sentence.
4. The provisions of this Order shall remain in full force and effect until sooner rescinded or superseded by subsequent Executive Order.
5. The Justice Cabinet and any other affected agencies of state government shall take all steps necessary to carry out the provisions of this Order.
6. This Order shall become effective immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State.
Paul E. Patton, Governor
Commonwealth of Kentucky
John Y. Brown III, Secretary of State