Annie Krachun's Story

(And other items of interest to those concerned with elderly and geriatric inmates)

Annie Krachun (As drawn by Andrea Mims)

    In her own words...

    My name is Annie.  My brother was Cicero James Moye.  He was a great burden in my life, but I loved him.  I would not have had this happen to him for anything.  I loved me brother and took care of him and protected him all his life.

    When he was three days old, he had Rheumatic Fever which cooked his brain.  He had temperatures of 107 degrees, which left him mentally retarded.  When grown, he never surpassed the mentality of a 12-year old.  But, he had a brilliant "elephant's memory!"  But at age 25, he was able to drive a car and work a part-time job for the Salvation Army which I helped him get.  He also loved to fish and hunt.

    He lived with me in my home in Garden Grove, CA, and worked in Santa Ana.   After my mother passed away in 1942, I had to take care of Cicero full time.  One day my aunt was called by the Sheriff because they found him laying in a ditch by the highway in Mayo, Florida where we were raised.  My Aunt had them take Cicero to jail and lock him up.  Cicero was taken to court and she had him committed to Florida State Mental Hospital for 11 years.  While Cicero was there his doctor called me at my home in Garden Grove and informed me that I must come and get my brother.  The couldn't keep him any longer because he was so unruly.  The could no longer control him and were threatening to put him out on the street.

    I could not allow this.  I took a Greyhound Bus to Florida with a brace on my back to get Cicero and bring him to Garden Grove, CA, to live with me and my husband, Walter.  At that time I had my niece living with me and she was 7 months pregnant.  This created problems with jealousy, hate, anxiety, and everything you could imagine.  It was a living hell for us.  My brother had to go to a doctor every day because he was a diabetic and needed insulin, along with other medical concerns.  My niece also had to see the doctor a lot, as she had a high-risk pregnancy.

    This created problems between Walter and me.  I had no time for him.  I was very busy taking care of Cicero and my niece, Belinda.  My brother would fight and argue with my husband every day and disturb my neighbors.  But, if they thought my brother's life was in danger, the never called the police about the disturbances going on in my home.  The welfare people came to my home every day to see if Cicero had any bruises or marks on his body to see if I was mistreating Cicero.  Every day he would be mean to me and hit me and run away into the streets and I would run after him to protect him from the dangers of being molested.

    When he was tired he would lay down in the middle of a freeway to go to sleep.  Things got so bad that my husband convinced me to have Cicero committed to Metropolitan State Mental Hospital in Norwalk, CA.  This broke my heart, so I went to visit Cicero every week.  He told me he was being mistreated by the hospital workers, so I ended up taking him back home with me.

    One day, Cicero was trying to run away from me and we fought in my back yard only to keep him off the streets.  I put him outside in my back yard to exercise for health reasons and i locked the screen door.  He started crying and begging for water to drink.  (The neighbors testified he sounded like an animal crying!).  My niece Belinda got angry and she filled a fruit jar full of water and forced it down his throat with his hands bound behind him.  He was crying and begging her to stop, but she was angry at him and she kept it up.  The reason his hands were bound up was to keep him from running away to hitch-hike back to Florida again.

    Cicero kept crying so I became disturbed at him and I was going to give him a bath.  Cicero hated water, but I had a portable shower outside in my backyard.  I tried to bathe Cicero, and he would fight at me to avoid the shower.  He knocked me down and I fell and he ran toward the gate by the clothesline.  He slipped and fell on the wet grass and he struck his head on a concrete block.  It stunned him, but he jumped up and started to run away.  I grabbed at him and he fell again.  To apprehend him I jumped on top of him to control him from running away to the street.

    I noticed immediately that he was frothing at the mouth, shaking and acting like he was having a seizure.  I proceeded to take his dentures out of his mouth and I noticed immediately his eyes were dilated.  Then I heard a gurgle that was his death rattle.  Cicero met his death 29 years ago at approximately 1:05 P.M.

    An autopsy was performed on Cicero, and the official finding was that he had died due to drowning.

    The court accused me of sticking a water hose near his mouth and drowning him.  They convicted me and the judge sentenced me to 7 years to life imprisonment.  The said it was a torture-murder, but this is untrue.  Cicero had trauma to the mouth because I was trying to get his dentures out.  I gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to try to revive him, but it was in vain.

    The autopsy stated that Cicero ha a lot of water in his lungs.  I told the Garden Grove Police that before his death my niece Belinda gave him a lot of water to drink while his hands were bound, and I thought that was how he died.

    I was a totally battered sister who loved my brother and I would not have wanted this to happen for anything in the world.  Cicero would be 70 years old today if he were still alive.

    This kind of care for a mentally retarded person would take many years of nursing experience and that was something I did not have.  However, I could have met my death that very day.  It is very sad and I live with this every day.  It saddens my heart.  I have a lot of remorse, but it doesn't change a thing because I can't bring Cicero back.

    All of this happened in the heat of passion, and in an out-of-control state.  Today, I am in control of Annie Krachun.

                                                                                    Annie Krachun.

You can write to Annie at:

Annie Krachun W#09706

B 505 C-18-3L

Box 1508

Chowchilla, CA 93610-1508

   Webmaster's Comment:  My wife sent me this statement by Annie in her own handwriting.  She is not a good writer, but I've tried to do as much spelling and grammatical correction as possible without changing the mood or spirit of her story.  I hope I have done an adequate job.  Annie is 74-years-old, and in failing health.  She has been denied parole 7 times, and will die soon if not released.  She has applied for compassionate release to the Governor, but Gray Davis has sworn that all lifers will die in prison without exception.

    Below is another letter I received from an elderly woman in prison at CCWF, Chowchilla, CA.  She is joining an ever-increasing number of older inmates denied parole without cause who are now demanding euthanasia:

Ilena Pearl Curry W#24269

CCWF B505 C24-3L

Box 1508

Chowchilla, CA 93610-1508

January 20, 2000

Re:  The Right to Die & The Black Pill, Prop 89

Dear Webmaster,

    This is a similar letter to one that is being sent to some prison newsletters and some California Politicians. Maybe you'd like to put it on your site.

    As for as Governor Davis is concerned, any lifer is now L.W.O.P. (Life Without Parole) due to his vetoing all bills that could have assisted or helped inmates, especially lifers and geriatrics.  Last week, a lifer who was 76 years old died in the shower while living with the general population.  Another one, 85 years old, died in the infirmary and one died at 74 years old after being moved at the whim of a psychiatric inmate.

    There is no geriatric unit, just general population units.  We die of abuse, neglect, and disease.  The mentally handicapped, the totally disabled, and the physically handicapped are all crowded into cells with rowdy, cruel, and undisciplined inmates who don't care about anything or anyone but themselves.  The mentally handicapped are housed right along with the geriatrics, disabled, and physically handicapped.  These situations are obviously not compatible.  Geriatric women are not dangerous, but harmless, especially after serving their Matrix/Time.

    Governor Davis has stated that no lifers will parole except in a pine box.  If the elderly can not get the care and proper housing they require, at least allow them to die a dignified death and not warehoused and abused.

    Approximately 400 inmates would take the "black pill" if it was made available.  Let Governor Davis take that to the California Taxpayers like he did Prop. 89, which gives him the right to review all lifers' board hearings and rescind any parole dates given.  If he must deny parole in even the most deserving of cases, then he should let us go to Our Lord in peace.

    We Geriatrics could be released to family or support groups to reduce expense and burden to prisons for the taxpayers.  Why are we being held like Political Prisoners?  Is someone profiting off our misery?

    I am a 78-year-old Dog Rib Canadian Indian Woman.  I request the Right to Die as there are no Geriatric facilities in the California Prisons and Governor Davis has taken away any hope for our freedom.

    Governor Davis has vetoed anything that could help inmates, especially lifers and the elderly.  He has given lifers "Life Without the Possibility of Parole."  We all die here regardless of our circumstances or guilt and time we have done.  The recidivism for lifers who have been released in the past is less than 1% and even that is for non-violent offenses usually.

    There are millions spent on the drug programs but nothing for a geriatric unit in each prison and that population in rapidly increasing in California Prisons with lifers being held long past when they should have been released.


Ilena Pearl Currey

Scandal of the Parole Board

Betrayal by Gray Davis